Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Toddler Sippy and Transition Cup Review


 

Like most first time parents, I wasn’t sure what type of sippy cup my son needed. I had a few things in mind. I wanted glass, not plastic, leak proof, sturdy, portable, and aesthetically appealing. I know the last one is ridiculous but if I’m going to lug a baby product around, it might as well be cute. So I did a little research and here’s what I found.

Glass v. Plastic  By now most of us have heard of the dangers of BPA. BPA or bisphenol A is a chemical that has been used to make plastics since the 1960’s. It is often found in plastic food storage containers, plastic beverage bottles such as water bottles, and even in the lining of canned foods. In 2010, the FDA altered its position on BPA expressing some concern about its potential side effects. These included theories that BPA could act as a hormone disruptor, affect brain and behavior in infants and young children, increase the risk of cancer and heart problems as well as other conditions like obesity, diabetes, and ADHD. You may have also noticed a slew of BPA free baby products on the market as the six major companies that make baby bottles and cups have stopped using BPA in their products.

Sounds all well and good, but as parent it still concerns me. I certainly don’t want my child exposed to harmful chemicals which is why I have shied away from plastic products in favor of glass. Glass is easily boiled to sanitize, contains no BPA/BPS, phthalates, PVC or polycarbonates, will not leach chemicals, and is overall, an environmentally better choice.

In terms of glass sippy and transition cups, the two that I have had the most success with are the Lifefactory 9-ounce glass bottle and the Siliskin 6 ounce glass.

Lifefactory You might have seen Lifefactory water bottles at the gym. These stylish bottles are covered in a protective, silicone, sleeve that come in a variety of colors. I purchased two Lifefactory 9-ounce bottles for my son along with the corresponding Sippy Caps. The bottles are easy to clean, you can drop them in boiling water (with the sleeve) to sanitize before the first use, and use a bottle brush with warm soapy water for subsequent cleanings. The bottles (and sleeve) are also dishwasher safe. They fit nicely in a diaper bag or purse and while slightly heavier than plastic sippy cups, are still very portable.

The Lifefactory 9-ounce bottles are also sturdy. Initially I worried about the glass breaking and the resulting mess. As anyone with a toddler knows, objects are likely to get flung to the ground or against walls. But so far these bottles have exceeded my expectations. My son has dropped his bottle on asphalt, concrete, and wood floors without issue. The bottles don’t leak, when properly capped, and the variety of silicone sleeve colors make them pretty to look at; a win-win for our family. I will say the only thing to watch out for is the silicone insert for the sippy caps. You need to squeeze the inserts open before the first use and make sure they are positioned properly in the sippy cap or the bottle won’t work.

Siliskin Glass  I purchased the Siliskin Glass as a transition cup for my son. The Siliskin comes in a package of two, 6-ounce glasses covered in an orange, silicone sleeve. As far as I know this is the only color sleeve they have. While this is slightly disappointing, at least orange is gender neutral and not terribly offensive. The glasses are smaller and hold less liquid than the Lifefactory bottles but are perfectly sized for toddler hands. My son can easily drink water or milk out of the glass without issue and loves the fact that it looks like a “grown-up cup.” The glasses are also dishwasher safe.


So far both Lifefactory and Siliskin have been a hit at our home and I can rest assured that my son’s sippy and transitional cups are not leaching harmful chemicals into his drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment